Tahchin is Persian rice cake which is made with different ingredients. It consists of a thick layer of rice, saffron, yogurt and egg combination but interestingly we make the vegan version of it and even get a better flavor of this dish. Vegan yogurt or simply a mixture of plant milk and gram flour is substituted for the dairy yogurt and egg.
Among different kinds of tahchin I adore this amazing one. Every single ingredient in this dish is so tasty and combination of all of them tastes divine. Just imagine the saffron flavor and barberries and dried fruits accompanied by soft texture of spinach and crunchy nuts! If you want to give it a try follow this recipe(for two) but do not forget to use a non-stick pot.
400 gr spinach
Seasonings: thyme powder, garlic powder, cinnamon and salt to taste
1 cup white rice
3 cups water and ½ tbsp. salt
½ cup plant milk
3 tbsp. gram flour
4 tbsp. liquid saffron
8 dried plums
3 dried apricots; chopped
4 tbsp. dried barberries
2 lettuce leaves
- Chop the spinach and sauté it in a small amount of oil till when it loses most of its water and turns into a soft texture. Then, add spices and combine well. Set it aside.
- Throw white rice in a pot and add 3 cups of water and salt to it. Bring it to a boil and simmer for about 5 to 8 minutes, then drain.
- Put the non-stick pot over a low heat and throw 3 tbsps. of oil in it. Put the lettuce leaves on the bottom of the pot.
- Combine two third of rice with plant milk, saffron and gram flour quickly, throw it in the pot and compress with a wooden spoon while making the surface even.
- Now put the spinach layer on the saffron rice and spread it evenly.
- It’s the coolest layer turn! Sprinkle the barberries, walnuts, pistachios, apricot and plums on the spinach.
- Finally, add the white rice which is one third of the whole rice on top and compress with a spoon. Then drizzle some oil on it.
- Cover the pot with lid and let the rice cake cook for about 30 minutes over a low heat until the rice is cooked.
- Finally remove the pot from heat and open the lid. Take a large plate and put it over the pot. Now turn the pot that you have your tah-chin on your plate.
By: Parisa Purranjbar